Thursday, January 30, 2020

50 Day Genesis Challenge, Day 30

"But Laban said to him, ‘If now it pleases you, stay with me; I have divined that the LORD has blessed me on your account.’"

                              - Genesis 30:27

My Grandpa, Ralph "Pete" Schmutz had a way with words. There are phrases I heard so many times as a child, as an adolescent, and as a young adult, that they became a part of the very fiber of my sense of self. This verse reminds me of one of my Grandpa’s phrases and the "mini-lecture" that went along with it.  

He’d always say to me, "When you don’t know what to do, do what you know how to do, and whatever you do, do your very best. Whoever you work for, and wherever you work, make yourself necessary."

In this verse from Genesis, Laban knows that Jacob is "necessary" to his ongoing prosperity, and he desperately wants him to stay. In what ways will you be making yourself "necessary" to whom you work for and with today? You and I get to choose today whether we are just another "cog" in the machine, or an indispensable member of a winning team.

LORD, help me to do my very best in all that I do this day, and every day. Bless the organizations and the people I serve, and the vocational and professional interactions I have in every context of my life. Empower me to be necessary, essential, and indispensable, to every team I am a part of, as I determine to do what I know how to do, even at times when I don’t know exactly what to do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

#50DayGenesisChallenge

#50DayGenesisChallengeDay30

No comments: