Monday, February 3, 2020

50 Day Genesis Challenge, Day 34.

"But they said, ‘Should he treat our sister as a harlot?’"

                             - Genesis 34:31

Wow, So... this is a tough chapter in which to find a comfortable, quick, simple, devotional application. It’s a complicated passage, that starts off with innocence in action, but is quickly seized by sexual brutality, twisted by paternal passivity, turned by clever deceit, then punctuated with betrayal, bloodshed and disturbing violence. And, though in many ways it is a difficult picture to look at, it is also an extremely accurate depiction of the sin-nature, and the darkened heart and perilous plight of humanity as a whole, apart from Jesus.  

If there is one line that comes close to being at all redemptive within this entire passage, for me, it would have to be the last line. It’s a line that I can personally grab ahold of and say, "Well, at least there’s that..." Not that it’s really "right," but it’s a line in which Dinah’s brothers, Jacob’s sons, describe and account for their actions as justifiable. And, quite honestly, from my own heart, I get it, I truly understand where they are coming from. I, myself, would want to take violent and decisive action against someone, anyone, who harmed my family or one of my children. It’s a part of my own personal wiring and mindset as a man. And, as I read this last line, I can follow the logic, and my heart agrees that evil prevails as long as good men do nothing. But this line also reminds me that so many of the actions of "justice" that are taken in this world, are in effect, retributionary in nature.

And, I have to ask, what if something more could have been done on the front end of this passage? Is there prevention which nullifies the need for retribution? Is there something proactive that could have changed everything? What if Dinah’s brothers (Jacob’s sons) could have been so chivalrous, so zealous for God, so concerned for their sister’s well being, and so intent on the protection of their family, that they purposed to never let their sister out of their sight in a "foreign" and a hostile land? Is it possible that all of this could have been prevented? As with all tragic "happenings" in our fallen world, there is always a linking of events, interactions, or split second decisions, that lead up to a tragedy or shocking occurrence. And, it is always afterwards, in hindsight, that we make the connections and think to ourselves... what if?

So, what do we do with this chapter, this passage, this line? I think, as with many things in God’s Word, it’s a statement of how things are, not of God’s approval, or of how God wants them to be. It’s a record of what happens in a fallen world in which humanity has, and individual humans have, been given the freedom to choose and to walk down whatever path and under whatever influence they desire. It’s a record of how the innocent are victimized, violent aggressors prevail, of how we live, do business, wage war and perpetuate a cycle of unending suffering and pain. This chapter is, in effect, a snapshot of the plight of all of humanity, from every corner of the globe. It’s not God’s Will, but it’s an accurate description of a fallen world and of humanity living far from Eden...

LORD Jesus, use me today to be an agent of preventative pro-action in the midst of a fallen and broken world. Place me, and help me to choose placement, where I can in my presence, intervene, and in my prayers, intercede. Today, LORD, use me, that fallen things in a fallen world might be prevented by my prayers and my presence. Use and empower me for good works, LORD, before evil takes action. Help me, this day, to walk in precise response to Your Spirit.

In Jesus Name, Amen.

#50DayGenesisChallenge

#50DayGenesisChallengeDay34



No comments: