Tuesday, January 24, 2017

A Great Time To Pray For A New Great Awakening!

In Joshua Chapter 5, Joshua the new leader of his nation is facing an insurmountable obstacle and an extremely difficult set of circumstances.  In fact, the situation he and his nation are facing in the text is a logistical train wreck.  I can only imagine what carnage would be taking place among his people on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and SnapChat if Social Media were a thing in Joshua's day.


But, a cool thing happens in the midst of it all, Joshua has a God encounter.  He sees what looks to him like "...a man standing opposite him with his sword drawn in his hand...".  Joshua musters his courage and approaches the "man" and asks a very "human" question.  He says: "Are you for us or for our adversaries?"  The response Joshua gets to this question is stunning, the Angel says: "No...".  


Do you get it?  The Angel answers a question Joshua isn't asking.  In Joshua's question, he reveals that in reality, he has the wrong perspective.  Joshua doesn't realize it, but he himself is actually asking the wrong question from an egocentric, human, perspective.  Joshua is asking his question from his "me-niverse" and the answer he gets is not what he wanted to hear.  


The Angel provides an answer that, as Joshua's Spiritual eyes are opened, realigns Joshua's heart allegiances.  The Angel's complete answer is: "No; rather I indeed come now as captain of the host of the LORD."  Now, watch what Joshua does when he begins to realize he has it all wrong!  "And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and bowed down, and said to him, 'What has my lord to say to his servant?'"


So...  what am I saying here?  I think what I'm trying to say is this; Friends, there is so much senseless and damaging verbal and relational carnage taking place on Social media right now.  And, there is so much anger, hate, and violence in our nation these days.  Our role as followers of Jesus is not to try to get God and others to be on our side, or to viciously attack those who we perceive as being on the "other side."  Our task is to be on God's side... and I think we get there most effectively when we respond like Joshua did, when he fell on his face and humbled himself in communication with God.  And, what might happen if we began to go there together, all of us, at the same time every day?


Personally speaking, I feel as if God is calling me to pray fervently for a New Great Awakening here in The United States of America and to raise up others who will pray with me for this Awakening.  Would you be willing to join me in this?


If so, Here's an easy way to do so!  Every day set an alarm for 3:16pm and when the alarm goes off, pray a prayer something like this:  "God, Your Word tells us that You loved the world so much that You sent Your only Son, Jesus, to die for our sins.  Please God, pour your Spirit out on our Nation in such a way that people are brought back to You, and into a saving relationship with Jesus.  Bring about a New Great Awakening God, and let me be a part of it!"  


If you would be willing to join me in this prayer, please feel free to cut and paste this, share this, or whatever else you'd like to do with this post.  Most importantly though, PRAY!  


2 Chronicles 7:14 says: "If My people who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."  


Our land needs healing...  desperately so.  Will you join me in seeking to be a part of the solution as we seek God's face in prayer and ask Him to bring about a New Great Awakening?


#PrayAmericaGreatAgain

1 comment:

Yada Yada Yada Blah Blah Blah said...

I believe that you're right. Believers often want or claim that God is on their side--the righteous side. God doesn't take the side of man. God is.