Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lightning Bugs...

So, I'm a walker...  It's what I do.  Every night, me and my dog "Jack" put in about 3-4 miles on the road in front of my house.  It's just kinda how I process my day, pray for the people I love, and pray about all of the things I experienced throughout the day.  And, for a number of reasons, this summer has been a great summer for walking at night.  Almost no bugs, infrequent thunderstorms, and "after dark" has definitely been the most "tolerable" time to be outside.

A few nights ago, around 11pm, we had one of those famous "outta-no-where" Kansas thunderstorms that the weathermen can't seem to figure out how to predict.  It literally popped up just south of our house a few miles, and started heading right for us.  And, it just happened to do so as I was about halfway into my 3-4 miles for the night.  So, as I said earlier, I'm a walker, but I'm also a compulsive... finisher.  I just hate to not "go the distance" and to not be able to complete all of my "miles" when I walk.

So... I think you may be getting the picture here...  The storm in front of me was building, heading my way, and I'm still walking south... right into the storm.  I'm not sure why, but I just felt compelled to watch it, and, yes, to get closer.  Rain has been so foreign to all of us this Summer, and the whole scene unfolding in front of me was just... drawing me in.  It truly felt like I was supposed to be walking... into the storm.  So, I kept on doing just that, walking forward, into the storm.  

Just above, and in front of me, the dark night sky was a huge contradiction.  I was walking directly beneath a deep blue, crystal clear, blazing starry night, while just ahead of me, billowing clouds were filling the sky, and bolts and blasts of lightning were illuminating the whole massive structure that had been building in front of me.  And, there were these amazing "wispy" clouds that looked almost like the silhouettes of soldiers fleeing a fallen battlefield, with the sounds of "battle" blasting from the cloud mass behind them.  For lack of any better words, the whole sight was truly awesome!

But, then my eye caught a different glimpse of light.  Something more steady, consistent, and yet overwhelmingly subtle.  It was about 200yds in front of me, and as it captured my attention, I stopped looking at the storm and started looking at a valley that was literally aglow.  No, not aglow with fire, or with lightning, but with... lightning bugs!  I mean to say there were more lightning bugs in that little 5-6 acre valley than I had ever seen in any one place, at one time, in my entire life.  So much so, that I literally stopped in my tracks, ignored the storm above me, and just watched those lightning bugs light up the darkness of the night, and that little valley beneath the storm.

There was a crazy, wild, violent storm going on all around me, but, as I stood there in the midst of it, I felt like I was supposed to be there, seeing that sight, watching it all unfold.  And, though I knew (and know well) the dangers of lightning strikes in Kansas...  I felt safe, protected, covered.  An interesting thought came to me in that moment...  Is it possible that God wants the Church to be like that, a gathering of people who light up the darkness wherever and whenever they go into the world as individuals, but also a people who assemble together in the midst of (or even spite of) the world's storms, creating an "impromptu place" where others can see "light" and be drawn in, or drawn toward, and feel safe?  Is it possible that the Church can be a very different kind of place than it has been for the most part?  A place that instead of seeming unapproachable to the road weary, it stands out to travellers or refugees walking along a road that is being consumed by a storm, or a battle, or a disaster, that they cannot understand?  Is it possible that the church is supposed to be a place that beckons those who find themselves disoriented and alone in the darkness of a "life valley," or in presence of the unrelenting "violence" of life's storms?  Is it possible that we can be a different kind of place, and a different kind of people, than we have been for a very long time?

This is the "different" kind of a thing that me, my wife and kids, and a hand-full of our friends are trying to do here in Park City, as we trust God to help us plant and grow, a brand new church, in a brand new place.  Will you come join us?  Our first "Preview Worship Experience" is Sunday night, August 28th from 6-7pm (1510 East 61st Street North / Children's ministry provided!).  We'd love to have you stop in and check us out, and we'd love the opportunity to become your church.

Keep On Keepin' On...

- Pastor Rob Schmutz
The United Methodist Church at Park City

No comments: